Tuesday, September 12, 2017

On HUMILITY...




I was looking for St. Ignatius of Loyola he led me to everything that I found including what humility is. I found the 12 degrees on humility and below I have mentioned the prayer that my brother had on the starting page of his little blue book. Everything falls in place when one looks for God.
I am always in the company of Saints. They always instruct me. They help me even with what they want me to write. I know it sounds absurd, but not to me. All with the help of the Holy Spirit.


Prayer of - St. Ignatius of Loyola
Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding,
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.

You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace,
that is enough for me.


St. Ignatius Loyola describes the three kinds of humility.  

1] As far as possible I subject and humble myself as to obey the law of God in all things, I must not consent to violate a commandment, that binds me under pain of mortal sin.
For eg: the 3rd Commandment binds us to keep the Lord's Day. If I dismiss that commandment as negotiable, then I have a serious lapse in humility. 

2] I possess it if my attitude of mind is such that I neither desire nor am I inclined to have riches rather than poverty, to seek honor rather than dishonor, to desire a long life rather than a short life.
I don't want to commit the least little sin; I don't want to displease Jesus on any matter. I don’t want to ever offend God, I want to do everything that pleases His heart and do whatever He asks, however difficult. His will is what matters. I am nothing, He is my all.
3] In order to imitate and be like Christ, I desire and choose poverty with Christ poor, rather than rich; insults with Christ loaded with them and I desire to be accounted as worthless and a fool for Christ, rather than to be esteemed as wise and prudent in this world.  So Christ was treated before me.

But can I truly say that I don't desire riches over poverty? St. Ignatius begins the third kind with these words: "If we suppose the first and second kind attained...."  To attain humility we-I need all the grace of God. On a faith journey accompanied by Jesus through prayer and the grace of God we can become more humble like Him. The third kind is truly a call to humiliation. Ignatius moves to "desire and choose". 

Christ, have mercy!    


According to St. Benedict and St. Thomas Aquinas
The first degree of humility - To obey all of God’s commandments, never ignoring them but always holding a fear of God in his heart.
The second degree of humility - When one thinks not about pleasing himself but instead models his actions on the saying of the Lord, I have come not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me.
The third degree of humility - When out of love of God, one obediently submits to a superior in imitation of the Lord. Jesus was obedient even unto death.  
The fourth degree of humility - When one, under obedience, patiently and quietly endures all things that are inflicted on him. It should make no difference whether the trials are painful, unjust or even completely beyond his understanding; he should neither tire nor give up.
The fifth degree of humility - When one humbly discloses to his superior all the evil thoughts in his heart, as well as those faults and evil acts he has committed.
The sixth degree of humility - To without qualms accept all that is harsh; at all times he considers himself a poor and worthless workman.
The seventh degree of humility - When one not only confesses that he is a wretch, but believes it to his very core. He must be willing to humble himself.
The eighth degree of humility - When one does only that which is demanded by the common rule of his seniors.
The ninth degree of humility - When one, practicing silence, only speaks when asked a question.
The tenth degree of humility - is that he be not ready and quick to laugh.
The eleventh degree of humility - To speak gently, and without laughter, but simply, humbly and seriously in few and sensible words, and softly.
The twelfth degree of humility - When one can at all times show humility not only in his appearance and actions, but also in his heart.

Having climbed all these steps of humility, one will presently come to that perfect love of God which casts out fear. 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and he who fears is not perfected in love. And all those precepts he will now observe by reason of love, without any effort, as though naturally and by habit. One’s motive - the love of Christ.

Matthew 11:25-30 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart.
St. Augustine-Dost thou wish to be great, begin from the least. We are to imitate Christ’s meekness and humility. Indeed, it is much easier to be humble in word than humble of heart.


St. Escriva' "You're not humble when you humble yourself, but when you are humbled by others and you bear it for Christ."


Please click on the below links: to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment